When Love Strikes...

"My head's under water,
But I'm breathing fine.
You're crazy and I'm outta my mind."

Where do I begin? You always muddle up my thoughts. When I want to talk, you leave me speechless and when I want to write, I come up blank. I cannot stop pinching myself to see if it's all a dream. If it is, please don't wake me up. The first time reality trumps fantasy.

How we met. How we became friends. How we started a relationship.  I have no doubt in my mind that God was involved. You are the last thing I expected from Him but I guess He saw something I didn't. I never thought I was missing anything but since I met you I've realized I was missing a lot of things.

"Cuz all of me, loves all of you.
Loves your curves and all your edges.
All your perfect imperfections."

You're not perfect but you are so close. Who is the ignorant person that said African men cannot be romantic? That person obviously never met you. All the little things you do that bury you deeper in my heart. The sweet gestures that brand me yours.

The way you treat me like I'm some priceless work of art. The way you make me feel every time you tell me how much you love me. I like it when you greet me with a hug. Your embrace makes me feel so secure and safe. I love your smile and how you always go the extra mile to make me laugh. You never let me go to bed mad at you. You always call to make things right.

You happily endure my sour moods and my crankiness. You sing to me on those nights sleep eludes me. When I'm down,  I don't have to tell you. You just know. And you never let me be until you make me smile. You encourage me. You support me. You always let me know you believe in me and because of all these, I try harder not to dissapoint.

If today I gained 150 pounds, I know you will stay and love me as much as you do right now (don't worry I don't plan to gain any weight). I never wonder what you're up to because whatever it is,  it isn't something that could cause me harm. You remind me so much of my father and I'm certain that when he meets you he's gonna see so much of himself in you. I always wanted a man like my daddy and I finally found him!

"Give your all to me, I'll give my all to you.   You're my end and my beginning.
Even when I lose I'm winning."

You make me giggle like a little girl. When your mouth starts to drop sweet things about me and to me I'm certain I can hear my head pop. If I were white, my cheeks would be constantly rosy. You know just how to appease my ego. You know the right way to correct me so I listen instead of taking offence.

I carry you around with me. In my heart and in my spirit. I pray for you more than I pray for me. You're like my knight in shining armor. The day you came into my life was the brightest day I've had so far. You said you will make it so I would never be able to forget you. Honey, the only way that's gonna happen is if my memory is wiped off. Even then, I'm sure I would remember you.

Thank you for showing me that love can be so pure. Thank you for making me finally believe and experience what I preach. You are certainly the best gift ever. Thank you for always trying so hard. Thank you for being understanding on those days when I'm being so difficult.  Thank you for not being scared to be sensitive. Thank you for daring to be different. Thank you for all the things, experiences, gestures and memories I will never forget.

Thank you for breaking down the wall surrounding my heart. Thank you for tearing down my pride. Thank you for not giving up on me. Thank you for just being you.

Shakespeare said, "It is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." Even if it turns out that you're not THE ONE, I would still carry in my heart all these wonderful keepsakes you gave me through all time. Lol...I finally have a story to tell my daughter.

"Cuz I give you all of me,
And you give me all of you."

Uncle Gbenro, did I try?

Lyrics in quotes: All of me by John Legend(our song).

Comments

Post a Comment

I love reading from my readers...

Popular Posts