Letter To My Unborn Son

Dear Son,
If you are reading this letter, today is your 18th birthday and mummy is married (i.e you have a present father). I am so glad I got married and your father and I were both able to give you an ideal family life (*fingers crossed* I really hope we didn't do anything to screw up your childhood). Anyways, I'm sure you love us regardless and you can be sure we love you too.

Now, I'm sure that I am right across the table from you as you're reading this as I do not plan on dying until I meet your grandchildren.  Do something for me? Look up from this letter and smile right at me. Thanks baby! You see, as at the time of writing this letter, not only was mummy single, she didnt envision herself ever getting married. Kinda freaks me out that I am referring to myself as mummy. I just want you to know that although I never could dream up your daddy, I always had a clear picture of you. I am so glad that you turned out to be all that and so much more. You might have a sibling or two be a good brother to them.

I know you're wondering why I wrote this letter. I wrote it because I had completely lost faith in the male race and I promised myself that if I ever had a son I would train him to be a good man. Just like his daddy and even better. How do I know your daddy is a good man even though I'm yet to meet him? I know because I would never settle. Something about him must have aroused my faith in the male species. I want you to be different in your generation too. I know your generation will be way of track. I need you to be on track at all times. You have to always be hardworking, focused and ambitious. We didn't work that hard just so you can inherit everything when we die. We worked so you would have a foothold at jumping higher, at achieving more.

I know you've come of age and women are looking so attractive right about now. I need you to know that you can come to me and we can talk about anything, even sex, and I promise never to meddle. I will accept your decisions at all times and try my best to support you in every way. Just so you don't take that last statement for granted; no son of mine is going to be an homosexual. That, I will not condone or accept. Truth is, if you're not straight you were probably switched at birth. Do me a favor, find your real parents so I can get my son back!

Unto more pressing matters. I am going to need you to treat every woman you meet with respect. I also expect that you not leave behind a trail of brokenhearts. Men succeed slower if there's an angry woman in the picture not to talk of angry women. There is only so much that my prayers for you can do. You have to ensure that you do not refute my prayers by your actions. Do nice things for them and if you know you don't see a future with one, please tell her. I know you might not fully understand right now but am your mother and I'm looking out for you. I've been looking out for you before you were even created in my belly rest assure that I will keep looking out for you until the day I die.

I want you to have what your father and I have. I want you to be happy. I want you to find your missing rib. I want you to find someone you are willing to give your life for (I do not mean death...no son of mine is dying prematurely). Love is more about giving than taking. You should always treat your lady friends as queens and you should never lay your hands on any woman. I did not raise you to be a coward. I raised you to learn to fight your own battles, to understand that you should earn and then provide for your family. I raised you to be the man that will become so many women's dream man. I trust that you will not disappoint me. What excuse would you possibly have for that after we provided you with all you needed and all you wanted?

Make mummy proud, junior!

With love,
Mum

Comments

Popular Posts