Have Some Fun In The kitchen Too.

Today I was determined that every thing I ate would be  prepared by me. Keep in mind that I am still very much on a diet. I also said that this time I wouldn't be cheating. I can not tell you how much I miss my candies and my fizzy drinks. I guess what I miss most is my Coca Cola. Pre-diet, I always had 3 in a day. 4 if I needed a little more sugar boost. I just couldn't stop it. I guess I was a little addicted. I'm sure I still am and whenever I achieve my goal (losing just enough weight) I'm going to go back to it. Only I'm going to reduce it to a bottle per day.

Anyway, back to my cooking challenge. It surprises most people that I can actually cook. Some people (the ones that knew me when I was growing up), still doubt I  can. With them, I always have to prove it when they least expect it. They still see me as the spoilt little girl that couldn't even wash dishes. Others just take a look at me and come to that conclusion (probably because I eat out more than I cook). Did I mention how lazy I am? It's not because I can't cook, it's because I'm too lazy. But on those days I have the urge to cook, what a treat! The thing about me is that I am never afraid to ask questions. I remember stating that discovering Google was the best thing that ever happened to me, I stand by it. If I want to eat something and I don't know how to make it, I just ask Google to find me a recipe for it and I choose the simplest one. Trust me, my way works just fine for me.

This morning, I had corn meal pudding (pap, ogi, etc) and beans. I normally have a snack a little while after breakfast and then make lunch a selection of fruits. Yesterday I had pineapple and watermelon for lunch. Today though, I had a craving for something else. I wanted to eat (how do I put this so everybody gets it?) cassava flour (amala) and egusi soup (melon soup) with lots of vegetables of course. I even had the mind to use just a tiny bit of palm oil and boost it with vegetable oil (which I did). Yeah, yeah I know that melon soup thrives on palm oil, but I made it work.

I added lots of onions, meat, fish and cow skin (ponmo). Needless to say, it had enough protein. Lol! I made the amala soft and light (just the way I like it). Did I mention that I love food?  Now you know. Anyway, in my attempt to make sure that I made it has low fat as possible (considering the fact that this particular food packed a lot of fat and my intention was to cut it down), I forgot to add pepper. I didn't even notice, neither did my sister until we were almost done with the dish. I made very small portions so as to surpress the greed for seconds. It was surprising that the dish could still taste that good.

I had heard often from my grandmother and my mom that the foundation of a good vegetable soup is pepper. I guess I proved them wrong. In your faces!!!! Lol. But seriously, it was delicious. Either I got lucky or I just happen to be gifted at cooking because I get lucky often. Then again, I probably had enough juicy ingredients to make the dish come out great. I just wanted to share my cooking faux pas that turned out to be a blessing in disguise because now I have an alternative recipe.

While I'm in no rush to go start my own cooking book (I'm no Julia  Child or a Martha Stewart), I know I can still come up with a pretty good dish if I have to. So, ladies, you should probably keep your men away from my dishes or they might never eat at home again.

Lol...you already know I have a huge ego. Deal with it! 

P.S. yes, I had a third opinion and yes it was a man's opinion. No, he isn't my brother or even slightly related to me. Like I said, gifted!

Comments

Popular Posts