Adupeola's Recipe For Japchae!!!

Japchae is a Korean dish. It can either be served as the main course or a side dish. It is a meal made up of stir-fried noodles, beef and vegetables. Lol! I'm sure none of you have forgotten the fact that I really enjoy eating. I like finding new dishes and making them and of course adding my own twist to things to make the meal uniquely mine.

When we were little, my baby brother and I would watch food channels and then raid the kitchen until we found ingredients to make what ever seemed simplest. We made our first pie. We made cake. And if we couldn't make anything, like lasagna for example we kept talking about it until someone got it for us. I like relating to the taste of a meal even if I just watch it in movies. I've watched a lot of Korean movies and often they eat japchae. Yesterday, I decided to Google the recipe and make it myself. While discussing today, my sister suggested I share my recipe with my audience.

Originally, japchae is made with glass noodles(makes one wonder what it's really made of). I always thought the glass noodles looked like egg noodles. Anyway, I didn't have either so I substituted with spaghetti. Tiny ones. I'm not going to go on about how the Koreans make theirs I'll just go ahead and tell you my method. Lol! Mum thought she was going to have to eat raw meat until I told her that the meal included only cooked meat. Nothing raw.

Ingredients

1. Spaghetti

2. Beef

3. Spring onions

4. Carrots

5. Ginger

6. Garlic

7. Salt

8. Chili pepper (Bawa, Shombo)

9. Soy sauce

10. Vegetable oil/Olive oil

11. Lemon/Lime

12. Red onions

13. Red pepper (Rodo)

14. Seasoning (Curry, Thyme, Seasoning cubes)

15. Sugar

16. Tomato

17. Tomato paste

18. Egg (optional)

Basically you can use all sorts of vegetables to make it more colorful and tasty. Like spinach, sweet corn, mushrooms, etc.

Preparation

1. Take the beef and cut it into thin strips (you can get your butcher to do that or you can buy already cut...did it myself though).

2. You have 2 choices; you can either boil the meat or you can marinate it raw (it's more tender when you boil it first though...and faster. I've tried it both ways so I know).

3. Make your marinating sauce:

★ Grind some red peppers, red onions and tomatoes. Add the result into a bowl.

★ Add a little vegetable or olive oil.

★ Add curry, thyme, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, seasoning cubes, lime and tomato paste into the same bowl.

★ Top it up with a dab of soy sauce.

★ Mix it all together.

You've got yourself marinating sauce!

4. Marinate the meat. Cover it with airtight plastic (nylon) and place it in the refrigerator. Let it sit for an hour or 2.

5. Cut your vegetables. Your spring onions, red onions, chili peppers, carrots, etc. The chili peppers and carrots you cut into strips (You can slice the rest or use whole depending on what you're using).

6. Boil your spaghetti. Make sure it doesn't get too soft. The moment it's just right, strain it. While still in the strainer, season it with vegetable or olive oil to keep it from sticking together.

7. Stir-fry your vegetables. The online recipe says to do it one after the other but I did mine all at once. It's faster and you end up with the same results.

How to stir-fry the vegetables:

Add a little oil to a non-stick frying pan. As soon as it's heated, add the vegetables...season with curry and thyme and stir occasionally (You could also use a stir-fry pot). Cook over medium heat. When the vegetables look wilted and sautéed, they're done.

8. Stir-fry the beef. If you didn't boil it first it's going to take longer. You follow the same process as with the vegetables but in this case u add the sauce and a little water and cover it up. Cook over low heat so the beef is well done.

If you boiled it first, you just follow the same process as the vegetable. You can add the sauce as well but it's done faster. Cook over medium heat.

9. Make japchae. Add a little oil into a pot. Add your sautéed vegetables and your stir-fried beef. Then add the spaghetti. Stir until everything is well mixed.

10. Leave it to simmer over low heat.

11. (Optional). If you're using egg, make an omelet and then cut it into strips. Top your japchae with it.

12. Serve and enjoy. You might like to wash it down with a cold drink like iced tea or juice. (Maybe next time I'll teach you how to make your own iced tea).

I would have loved to drop a picture of my finished product, but it never occurred to me to take a picture because I didn't know I would be sharing it with you guys. Next time I make it, I promise you a picture. 

I might still have to go to Korea to taste the real thing though. Lol!

Bon Appétit!!!

Comments

Popular Posts