Re: Celebrating Unapologetic Sexy Black Women!

I recently read an article online about unapologetic sexy black women. I love my culture. I'm proud of the color of my skin. Nothing would make me wish I was a shade lighter...I wouldn't want to be a shade darker either. Let's just say, I'm comfortable in my own skin. I love my body at any size. While I might feel the occasional blues because I can't come down a couple of sizes, I still look in the mirror and appreciate my image.

The writer of the article felt that the recent trend of women putting on less and less fabric is proof that these women are unapologetically sexy. Everybody that knows me will ascertain the fact that I'm a liberal person. I believe in a person's right to wear or adorn oneself with whatever one feels comfortable with. I'm so open-minded that I'm willing to give anything atleast one chance. I never judge people by their decisions. That doesn't mean I never have a different opinion, it only means I'm okay with others not agreeing with mine.

Personally, I believe that when it comes to clothing, less is never more. Women can be sexy and not be half-naked. I've tried copying this new trend and I realized that I didn't like the attention dressing like that was getting me. I might not be the most innocent woman, but I am quite reserved. Sometimes, I like to be left alone. Dressing half-naked doesn't scream, "Do not approach!" It shouts, "I need your unwanted advances to proof to myself that I'm attractive."

While I wouldn't go so far as to say a woman should be completely covered up, I believe that the less you reveal, the more in control of your sexuality you are. Lol...that's not to say that I don't have a particularly favorite dress that makes me look like eye candy when I wear it. I do! I've always loved short dresses and my legs are not even my best feature. My best feature, I keep covered up. No use giving up my aura of mystery. I think that women who don't feel sexy until their privates are made public have low self-esteem.

Would one look at Michelle Obama or Oprah and say they aren't sexy? They know their worth and they don't need to advertise their wares to show the power of their femininity. I don't have a problem with artistes being half-naked. Not because I don't have a problem with it, but because it's their body to do with as they want. They believe sex sells and so they sell it. So many of them don't need to, but they still succumb to the pressure. Someone once asked if the ladies in musical videos don't have a problem with being half-naked when their male counterparts are clothed many times over. I'm guessing they don't. They believe it's their job to be half-naked so the video is a hit.

Right here in Nigeria, I can list a couple of women who respect their bodies and themselves as women enough to dress appropriately always; Allyson Diezani,Omotola Jolade, Mo Abdul, Funke Akindele, Dakore, Gloria, Kate Henshaw and so many more. No one can argue about the fact that these women are sexy in their own way. They pull their own weight. So many factors play into a woman being considered sexy as opposed to hot. I would love for more women to aspire to attain true sexiness.

Before you go ahead and start to insinuate that I'm not comfortable with my sexuality, let me just go ahead and reassure you that I am. I am a big, bold, curvy, beautiful black woman. I might not be everyone's main dish, but I'm some people's special dish. I look into the mirror and see more than just my body though...I see my soul. It's even more beautiful. I feel sexy from within even when I'm under dressed. That kind of confidence shines through and makes you sexy.

Sometimes, I wonder what some of these women are thinking. Sexiness fades if all you bring to the table is your "hot" body and your looks. All these things fade with time. It might sound cliché, but true beauty is from within. You need to break the bondage of the past over women. Just think back or read autobiographies and biographies of great women who fought passionately to end gender inequality. Is it right to pay them back by not giving life our best? By just sauntering through life easily using our bodies as bait?

I know it's your body and to flaunt it is your prerogative. You should own your body and love it. You just don't always have to "flaunt it, if you've got it". I hope you're able to put aside the first thing that comes to your mind when you read this article and then find a way to actually get where I'm coming from.

We are black women. Black is beautiful. Black is proud. Black is wise. Black is strong. Celebrate being black...celebrate being sexy...celebrate being women. Own who you are.

For black women;

Your body is too holy, too beautiful, too sexy, too wonderful, too unique to be taken for granted.

Adupeola

Comments

Popular Posts