"Tough Times Never Last ,But Tough People Do!"

In today's post I'll be borrowing Dr. Robert H. Schuller's book title, Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do! I feel like I can relate to this. I have had a lot of tough times visit me in my very short lifetime. I want to complain and then I remember that some people probably have it so much more worse.

I am amazed by the kind of mountains and oceans tough people scale and sail over. It was Franklin D. Roosevelt that said, "a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor..." I agree. If life were a bed of roses, we wouldn't learn anything. Success would become a myth and people would die young. We would stop hoping for tomorrow and have no reason to live past today.

I had to grow up a little bit more to understand why my mum was so worried that I'm hardly self-motivating. So she pushed and pushed and then I started to pull back. I wish I had just allowed myself to move a bit when she pushed back then. Honestly, I have had days that I felt I had no reason to get up from my bed. And I didn't on those days. On moody days like that, I lazed the day away and let more time slip away.

I'm impatient. So when things don't work out the way I want the first time around, I abandon it for something else. I'm a sore loser. Resilience has never been one of my virtues. It takes me a while to recover from setbacks and disappointments. I like to wallow in self-pity and self-derision. I work hard at revisiting the memories of my pain and misfortunes. I relish the hurt and heartbreaks.

But then I decided to try something new. In his book, You Can, You Will: 8 Undeniable Qualities of A Winner, Joel Osteen wrote, "As long as you’re living in regret, focused on the negative things of the past, you won’t move ahead to the bright future God has in store. You need to let go of what didn’t work out. Let go of your hurts and pains. Let go of your mistakes and failures. You can’t do anything about the past, but you can do something about right now".

I decided to take his word for it. I decided to give it a good old-fashioned try. I gave it my all. And you know what? He was right. The more I refused to dwell on all the negativity, the more promising tomorrow looked...the more motivated I was to try again and this time knowing if I fail, I'll just jump up and start all over.

What's the essence of this post? It's to motivate you. To let you know the sun will come out tomorrow. To make you understand that...indeed...tough times never last, but tough people do.

I'll leave you with these words of Joel Osteen....meditate on them;

"Don't settle where you are. You have seeds of greatness on the inside. Put these principles into action each day. Get up in the morning expecting good things, go through the day positive, focused on your vision, running your race, knowing that you are well able. Winning is in your DNA. The most high God breathed His life into you. You’ve got what it takes. This is your time. This is your moment. Shake off doubts, shake off fear and insecurity, and get ready for favor, get ready for increase, get ready for the fullness of your destiny. YOU CAN, YOU WILL!

Have a blessed day!!!

Adupeola

Comments

Popular Posts