Olamide & Street OT






In regards to his most recent album, Street OT, I have heard the word 'oversaturation' tossed around a couple of times I get what the term means, I just don't understand what that has to do with Olamide. Incase it's not obvious, I'm a huge fan. While I won't call myself a diehard fan or even insinuate that I am obsessed with him, I will say that so far, I haven't recoiled from any of his songs. I know people say he sings more than he raps, but I totally disagree. If he wants to just rap he can do it. He's sensible enough to know martyrdom doesn't suit him and so he went commercial. I mean, can you actually turn off his music? I know I can't. While I won't go as far as to tag him a lyrical genius, I would say his kind of music is truly refreshing. Through his music, you grasp that he has fun creating music. You understand his passion for what he does. I learned a long time ago that it is necessary to love what you do to avoid losing hope and giving up on it.


I must confess that I wasn't always into Olamide. His first album, Rapsodi I only had two favorites;  Eni duro & Young Erikina. I was into Dagrin then. I don't believe Dagrin would have overshadowed Olamide if he lived. They were both similar and different. The difference was clear, at least to me. I think he just needed to grow into his skin. And what a growth it has been. The best step Olamide took, in my opinion, was starting his own record label with his family(friends that are like brothers). That, I think, gave him a chance to be a little more creative. His second album, YBNL, was a success. I loved the entire album(ofcourse my opinion is all that matters). Every track was more creative than the last. It was exciting. It was like discovering new cuisines. It was full of flavor.


I thought I was a little biased, but his third album, Baddest Guy Ever Liveth, sealed it for me; Olamide is my favorite Nigerian artiste. I once got into a sort of argument with a guy about the quality of his music as he progressed. Like I told him, I believe Olamide's music matured along with him. It's like fine wine, the older it gets the better it tastes. A couple of guys have argued that I didn't truly understand his music and so couldn't correctly judge his efforts. I find it silly that they think that way just because I'm female. I understand him. I'm a writer. A creative persona, I would like to think I'm more perceptive because of that. I get the personality behind the music. You must agree that his essence is well captured in his music.


Let's move on to physical attributes. While it's obvious that he won't be winning the Mr. Nigeria award anytime soon, he has a certain charm to him. I like the whole bad boy facade. Who doesn't? I simply love his eyes. They always make him look like he's always high. They add to his attractions. I'm not saying I'm attracted to him, I'm just saying he's an attractive guy if you like that kinda appeal(which I do). If I had met him in a neutral environment, I'm sure we would have been the best of friends. I always manage to pick the crazy ones. Infact, the crazier the better(no offense, Dayo). I once told a female friend of mine that if I were asked to choose an artiste to spend a whole day with, I would choose Olamide not to be naughty ofcourse, I just need to know if he's really that crazy or if it's all a part of his act.


I would be very disappointed the day I find out he's normal. I need him to be fun, exciting, charming and insane. I need him to be that personality his music portrays. I respect him for a whole lot of things. The fact that he's still friends with people from his past. People that knew him before his success story. That kind of friendship is so rare nowadays. Only a brave man keeps old friends and endeavors to make them grow along with him. I also love the fact that although he can't dance, he doesn't stop trying. He's like our very own Sean Paul(he can't dance either). I think his song Voice of the Street, was what made me pay attention. I love(notice I'm not using past tense) that song. I remember finally watching the video, it was different from what I expected from him. I loved the concept. It's like showing the audience he has a dark side, a part of him that isn't quite so jolly. That adds a little mystery to his appeal. 


I probably shouldn't get into his songs one by one...I'll lose track of my point that way. I've listened to his new album and while some tracks dug their way unto my heart already, a few need me to come back to them again and again before they have a chance to worm their way into my heart. My point is, I'm sure he knows how to pace himself. So what if he released 4 albums in 4 years. I think the albums speak for themselves. Olamide is here to stay. He may very well still surprise us. I sincerely hope he releases another album next year, that has got to be some kind of record and I think he deserves to break records. He understands and remembers where he came from...that much is evident in his music.


I love Street OT. I think it proves my point that Olamide will age like fine wine. I think he deserves a standing ovation for another job well done. Again, I hope he releases another album next year. Just to spite haters ofcourse.

"Na talk I dey talk I no write shorthand o..."

Comments

Popular Posts