Everybody Needs Some 'Me Time'

There are days that I really want to go out and all my girlfriends just happen to be busy. On those days, being as stubborn as I am, I still go out and have fun for me. Lol...its especially funny when I go to restaurants and joints that couples frequent and I'm my only companion. Still I treat myself royally and I laugh at my own jokes.

Most of you will think this is pathetic, but really it isn't. A long time ago, 2009 to be precise,  I mastered the art of enjoying my own company. It's really easy. I can hold a whole conversation with myself. I can also crack jokes and not be self conscious about it being funny or not. I'm my own best critic and friend. Infact, I am writing this piece on one of such days and I'm even in one of those places. It just struck me at how funny it is and I decided to share my inside joke with my wonderful readers.

I get quick glances from the couples,  the ladies because they are simply horrified that a woman can be happy without a man by her side (paying the bills)...yinmu! The men because they are trying to figure out if I'm chilling for someone or if they can approach me when their ladies aren't looking (at some point they are gonna get a lone girl isn't scouting for men...atleast not always). Some of them actually stare until I'm forced to make some horrid expression that says I'm off limits or I just wanna be alone.

I've often heard people say to me after getting to know me that their first impression of me was that I was a big snob. Lol...I live in a country where faith in one's ability is 'ego' or 'pride' and self- sufficiency is considered being 'snobbish'. Why do I have to conform to society? Why is my being different such a big deal? I know I'm not the only different one and I respect other ladies out there doing there own thing. Trust me ladies, I constantly drink to your courage,  confidence and independence.  You go, girls!

Now, now, I understand that, "no man is an island" and that, "iron sharpens iron". I'm just saying you don't have to be dependent all the time.  Everybody needs some 'Me - time'. That time you spend doing what you love doing when you want without being interrupted.  Some days only you can get you and every other person would just irritate the shit out of you. I am of the belief that everybody needs some time alone; fathers, mothers, children, siblings, boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, even best friends need a break from each other.

This breaks enable them to relax and please themselves and not others. This time is for what you like to do and not when you have to pretend to like something you don't. During this time, you can learn and try something new without being discouraged. New dishes,  new adventures, new stuff in general. I love my breaks and while I do not believe that a relationship necessarily stops you from having fun and doing new things, I believe that it makes it difficult to just think about 'you'. It has to be 'we'.

Single ladies should spend more time enjoying life and living it instead of dedicating it to constantly searching for a man. You only have right now to live life! In a relationship you settle down. I'm not saying a relationship is bad, mind you, I'm just saying that even when in a relationship, it shouldn't be the total summation of your life. There is so much more to life ladies. Please live it to the fullest!

Got to go now, some cute stranger just entered and I'd rather feast my eyes than write o...sorry. Later...

Comments

  1. I love this. Learning to appreciate yourself could be all you need to be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...I'm glad you get it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading from my readers...

Popular Posts