Can Your Soulmate & Life Partner Be Two Different People??!

Okay...before you say I've started again, let me just explain myself. I was in the shower when the question came to me. Usually, I would write it in my journal and decide to tackle it later. But, I'm trying to break the habit of procrastination and one of my goals is to write more. So, I've decided to write and publish anything that drops in my mind...no matter how silly. Hopefully, this time I'll win and I'll finally break the habit.

Back to the topic of discussion. A couple of days ago, I watched a movie where a woman claimed her soulmate wasn't the man she married. Her 'soulmate' was her male bestfriend. I'm sure most of you can already guess the ending of this movie. If you still haven't, let me tell you. She left her husband for her bestfriend (shocker, right?!). I saw that move coming from the moment she made that statement.

Let me now state my own opinion. I do not believe in soulmates. It is a term created by overzealous writers (and editors) to sell articles. Like, we (humans) learn and learn but somehow we're all still a little bit dumb when it comes to love and relationships and we need answers from people who claim to know more than we do. Yes, some have the gift of discernment and wisdom in that area but ultimately we're all still grasping at straws!

I don't think there's only 1 man for every woman or vice versa. If there was, I don't understand polygamy, adultery/cheating or prostitution then. These are things that wouldn't have been in existence if there was only one person for 1 man/woman. I guess no one has realised how futile the search for Mr. & Miss Right is. We only have right for me. So much more goes into a lifetime commitment than some mythical mumbo-jumbo like finding a 'soulmate'.

I tried to research and it amazes me how many articles are out there about soulmates. I feel like it's this ideology that's ruining the sacredness of the marriage institution. After getting married and leaving the euphoric/honeymoon phase, a couple might realize it actually takes hardwork to keep and sustain a marriage. The 'hard' work part might lead one of the partners to decide to call it quits eagerly believing that somewhere out there, their soulmate is waiting for them.

Sigh. Statistics claim that 85% of second marriages also end in divorce. Why? Now it's not that much harder to leave. You've done it before. You are all lovey-dovey for a year or two and then things came crashing down. This is why some people are addicted to first dates. The excitement, the thrill. They never want a second date...the first date is all they needed (these set of people are usually commitment phobes).

I feel like I want to go a bit deeper with this topic...and I will. So...let me stop here for today. I truly want an answer to that question. I'm not a rigid person...I'm opinionated but I'm also open to giving another opinion a chance. I'm not a liberal pushover but I'm a flexible conservative.

To be continued...

Happy Sunday!!!

Adupeola

Comments

Post a Comment

I love reading from my readers...

Popular Posts