A Letter To My Grandfather




Dearest Grandpa,
How are you? How's it going on the other side? It's been a minute since you left us. We all terribly miss you. Sometimes we're lost without you. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm used to the idea of going to your place and not meeting you there? I'm sorry I couldn't fulfill my promise to you. I tried so hard not to cry but I just couldn't help it. I couldn't bear the fact that I wouldn't get to see you whenever I wanted anymore.


Grandma is doing fine. She really misses you but she's also thankful you went peacefully. Your kind of union was enviable. I've never seen a couple so in sync. I can't bring myself to delete your number off my phone. I still wonder if it was all a really long dream and why I'm yet to wake up. Many don't get it. They think you're old enough to go and that I deserve to be congratulated. You're still a loved one and nobody prays for the death of their loved one.


I understand that death is the inevitable end of all man but as the years passed I almost convinced myself that you were immortal. What can i say grandpa? I'm so glad i got to meet you. I'm grateful to have had you in my life. I grew to know Christ intimately because of you. The scriptures are firmly embedded in my heart and come to my remembrance when I need it because of you.


You were the one I called when I was anxious and it was almost as if you could sense it because you would instantly start encouraging me and praying for me. When I didn't understand anything, i came to you. When I had a secret, I told it to you. You were more than just a grandfather to me, you were my friend, my pillar of support and my prayer warrior.


It hurts that you passed while I was away. I didn't get to say my goodbyes. I had no heads up. It also hurts that when you passed I wasn't aware of it and I still spoke of you as if you were. I fulfilled my second promise though. I sang hymns all day after I heard about your passing. I was happy you slept in grandma's arms. It was a nice way to go.


Grandpa, you were a great man. You were a philanthropist and a true man of faith. You served God in every way. I have never seen you turn away a needy person. You always gave wholeheartedly. You were a man of peace and you strived to make peace everywhere you went. You walked in love. You laughed and played with both the young and old. I learned a lot from you and your walk with God.


I'm happy knowing that you're with the Lord. I know I have to miss you now so I won't miss you eternally. Rest well....

I will always love you and i will never forget you. You'll remain forever in my heart.

Adieu Deacon Okunlola Alani Aiyedun!!!

Adieu grandpa Ayomide!!!


With Love,
Oladiwura

Comments

Popular Posts